Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Workout update

My right wrist is still bothering me from the October injury, so I stopped working on dumbbell shoulder press. To save time and for 'cardiovascular fitness' reasons (I am not even sure if I believe in that concept as it is traditionally defined) I've taken to doing my workouts with machines in a cardiovascular circuit.

Usually:
1. leg press - trying for 15 reps before increasing the weight, most recent was 10 reps with 230 pounds for each leg
2. leg extension - trying for 15 reps, but getting killed because it's right after leg press, most recent was 10 reps with 130 for each leg
3. leg curl - trying for 15 reps, most recent was 14 with 80 for each leg
4. shoulder press - trying for 10 reps, most recent was 6 with 175 pounds (the machine is easy, no way in hell I could free weight shoulder press that much)
5. chest press - trying for 10 reps, but my strength is awful because of the shoulder press, most recent was 4 with 150 pounds
6. weighted back extension - trying for 10 slow reps, most recent was 10 with 170 pounds
(Incidentally, using even 80 pounds with this hurt like hell before I discovered I had a herniated disk. I am now confident that my disk herniation was far older than June, it just wasn't acutely painful until June.)
7. weighted abdominal exercise - trying for 15 reps, most recent was 8 with 130 pounds
8. calf raise - one leg at a time holding a dumbbell, most recent was 21 with 35 pounds
9. pull down - trying for 10 reps, most recent was 7 with 145 pounds
10. row - trying for 10 reps but my strength is toast after the pull down, most recent was 5 with 115

I'm generally pleased with my progress. Those leg press numbers aren't my best ever, but they're pretty solid and I feel like my legs are getting more muscular. Unfortunately, that's subjective and I may be incorrect. The working weight for the shoulder press is also my best, although again most of the shoulder machines I've used before seemed more difficult. I'm not wildly enthusiastic, but there does seem to be some progress. My right leg is still noticeably stronger than the left, but at least the left side isn't weak any more. In all of the exercises above, I work my left leg to muscular failure and limit the right leg to match it without exceeding it.

The other good news is I watched a Youtube squatting video with Mark Rippetoe, who is considered an authority. Apparently my preferred squat form was pretty close to ideal. If I return to dumbbell home squats (dumbbells at chest height) I can do things the right way. Or if a local gym gets a real power cage, that would be even better. (Best of all would be someone buying me a power cage and finding a place to put it in my house. Any takers?)

I'm going to add forearm exercises to this, to beef up my left forearm, rehab my right wrist injury, and strengthen my grip. Exercises I plan are hanging from the pullup bar, wrist rollers, reverse dumbbell wrist curls, side dumbbell wrist curls, and plate pinch. I intend to work my left side harder than the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment