Saturday, January 23, 2010

Workout addition

I'm reviewing my workout logs here and older logs on paper. I have two problems related to workout logging. First and foremost, I did not pick a dedicated, consistent format and stick with it. So reviewing older workouts versus newer ones is more than a simple exercise in cross-referencing. Second, and more importantly, when I used more frequent, higher volume workouts I tended to skip on the logging entirely. I have consistent logs of infrequent workouts but inconsistent logs of frequent ones.

But three (edit, four) things stick out in my recollection.
1. In my first year of college (15 years ago), during winter break I did 5 sets of 20+ pushups three days or more per week, and when I returned to campus my maximum bench press was up from 135 to 155 for sets of ten repetitions. And I had worked very, very hard relative to my own strength in order to reach 135 before that. I kept working out less frequently, and by the end of the semester my maximum bench press was 135 again.
2. In spring of 2004 I was playing a video game with racing. Between races I would do 10-15 pushups. I did this many nights per week for months. My previous maximum bench press had been 175 pounds for one rep. When I tested it again, the maximum was 200 pounds for one rep.
Similarly, my best leg press for Super Slow had been stalled at 6 reps with 380 pounds or 4 reps with 400 for over a year. I went to the gym three times per week and worked leg press with faster repetitions and similar weights. When I tested my strength, I could handle ten repetitions (at a faster speed) with 480 pounds. When my Super Slow working weight was 380 pounds, I could not budge 480, period.
3. This past fall I was trying 3 sets of 5 or 6 repetitions on shoulder press several times per week, working near my maximum tolerance. I managed to inch up the working weight in shoulder press from 50 pounds to 57.5. Then I took a break, and it dropped to 55.
4. When I am doing higher volume gym workouts, the vascularity of my arms is improved and it's easier for me to donate blood. With my lower volume, high intensity, less frequent workouts medical professionals had problems drawing blood and my last attempt to donate blood failed.

Honestly, that's better progress than I have enjoyed with infrequent, super hard workouts. Plus when doing the infrequent, hard full body workouts I seem to have lost some of the strength I gained with more frequent work.

Henceforth, I am embarking on a new routine. 5 days per week I am going to do 4 sets of 5 reps with 5 minute breaks between of dumbbell squats and shoulder press. Each week I will increase the resistance 2.5 pounds per side. When I hit a progress wall, I will drop the resistance back down to the cycle start + 2.5 pounds and start the cycle over.

Let's see how far that carries me. I would like to use a barbell squat instead of a dumbbell squat and a pulldown/pullup exercise, but I don't have the right equipment.

This week I started with 47.5 pounds, which was far harder than I expected. Day 1 was today, 1/23/10. Unless something noteworthy happens like sickness or injury, I will just note the day and any changes to the resistance going forward. Day 2 1/24/10, Day 3 1/25/10, Day 4 1/26/10, Day 5 1/27/10. Day 1 1/30/10 w/50s, Day 2 1/31/10, Day 3 2/1/10 , Day 4 2/2/10, Day 5 2/3/10 - taking a week off, my right shoulder is starting to be just a little off. When I was younger, I would have ignored it. I still want to ignore it - but if I get hurt, I can't train! So this is a forced break.

As luck would have it, we got 18 inches of snow on 2/6/10 and another 18 inches on 2/10/10. I've done a minimum 8 hours of snow shoveling across the past 7 days. I thought I was good enough today to train, so I did Week 3 (52.5 pounds) day 1 - but take another three or four days off, minimum.  Day 2 2/18/10.  Day 3 2/19/10.  Day 4 2/20/10.  Day 5 2/21/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment